I had similar issue, that maybe don't have nothing with problem you got here, but just you can have in mind and check just to be sure.
If you have animated rig as input, not alembic cache, you should check your curves in graph editor. In Maya you usually cant see sub frames, and your animation looks fine. But i had overshooting and strange animation in sub frames, because of tangent interpolation on curve keys.
So when solver substeps are set on 1, everything was fine. Steady solving, and everything. But soon as i put more sub samples in Ziva solver, issues start to occure. Because Ziva started using weird animation between frames in calculations. Tissue start flying all over the place, collisions start falling apart, etc...
I just used "euler filter" in graph editor, to clean my curves, and problems were gone. I lost couple hours trying different settings before i figured out what causing problem really.
Maybe it's not solution for you problem here, but it's for sure something that you should always double check when you have strange issues in solve.